August 23, 2009

Creedence Clearwater Revival- The soul of Rock

Around two years ago I was browsing through a "Learn your self- The Guitar guide book". The book's title cover showed a man who resembled Jesus in in his outward appearance holding a guitar in his hand with a strange pheasant like expression on his face as if to say "Sonny make my Day, buy this book; it's worth it "

After this rather interesting but not by any means encouraging start my brother who is into this whole guitar thing decided to give it a shot and shelled out a substantial amount on the Book( substantial because the book according to us both wasn't really worth it !).
Well after purchasing it came the next step was to go through it and as I was saying earlier that two years ago I undertook this task to browse through that Guitar guide book. My eyeballs quickly scanned the contents page to see the likes of Led zeppelin , deep purple , nirvana on the sample notes page.
Cutting to the chase ,one name appeared at an alarming frequency . It was a name which I hadn't heard before. But a name I would never forget after that. CCR.

It took me a week to find out the full form of this rather dubious acronym. On the seventh day Google told me : Son what the heck are you doing? it's CREEDENCE CLEARWATER REVIVAL for God's bloody sake.
Never in my life (and I am no Noah) have I come across a band with mindboggling fan following, painfully simple musical philosophy and no bull shit.
Listen to " Bad Moon Rising" ; the track is a classic example of all those virtues. Simple to play, simple to follow and simple to digest. This my friends if I can call you that , is the essence of rock n' roll.
This does not however mean that the band lacked lyrical depth . To remove your doubts I would like to recommend two songs worth their salt:
Born on the bayou
fortunate son
Both cover different issues . One is a country boy's cauldron of emotions while the other is a brilliant satire shot at all those " fortunate sons around"

I in particular love born on the bayou because of it's southie touch and vocals.

Anybody who wants to go neck deep into the world of rock cannot do so without giving CCR a patient hearing.
Their songs reflect the purity of rock which all the progressive rock bands of the 60's and 70's lack.

Sammy Recommends :

The Chronicles of Creedence Clearwater Revival (Vol. 1 and 2)

Go buy the set. Ya, torrents are available . Piracy is a crime but it suits one's pocket.

No comments:

Post a Comment