August 22, 2009

Peeping inside the Modern Tourist's psyche

What does a tourist want ?
This question has troubled me ever since I grew old enough to be troubled by such questions.
Although many years have passed since that question first cropped up in my then inquisitive mind, the answer is still as illusive as it then was .
Initially I believed people came to Shimla to feast on the snow. When snowfall became an uncertain event, I decided that may be it's the cool weather which attracts them. Never once did it come to my my mind that may be they have come to enjoy nature. It's not my fault you see, that this idea didn't show up in my research. After all how many tourists do you you actually see enjoying mother nature as it resides . Every tourist spot eventually becomes famous for the street food served there. If not that then in places like Shimla, where nature is in abundance and where virtually every view is panoramic, ridiculous guided tours are made and points counted to complete an excursion.
I once had the privilege of evesdropping on a father son duo who were in midst of a philosophical debate. the son says" all mountains look the same" the father says" no, that one has some quality, after all it is mentioned in this in this brochure"
this is the state of things as they exist. Every weekend loads of tourist come up to Shimla to do God knows what.
Over the course of time many local shops and eateries have closed down and in their place have come up all those multinational food chains and apparel chains. It would really seem ridiculous if A tourist should travel 1000 miles to eat in a subway on a hill station.
The local cuisine, culture and manners are fast dying. What's even more worrying is that people have no problems with the demise of their unique culture.
A trip on the mall road is sufficient to convince one on the point that everybody out there is a clone. The tourists are looking for non-existent delights.
Tourism is now becoming a self destructive movement.
and I still don't know why tourists throng to Shimla if not for Shimla as it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment